I'm a typical mother. I get very proud of Jake for all of his accomplishments and love to watch him grow and develop. Last week I was so excited because he said his first three-word sentence (at least, it was the first time that three words were put together that all came out clear and understandable.) His first sentence: Bye-bye yellow bus. It may seem like a trivial thing, but I was beyond proud of him. Not only was he saying a full sentence, but he was also recognizing his colors!
And then, today I was put back in my place. We were at Barnes and Nobles and they have a big Thomas the Train table there for the kids to play with while the parents look at books. I was watching Jake play, and another little girl came up with her mom that looked about the same age as Jake. And then she opened her mouth. Here's the conversation that took place:
"Mom, take the clothes off my doll! The shirt and the pants"
"My, you're demanding."
"Demanding?"
"Yes, that means you're not being patient."
"Oh, ok. Mom the bottle, too!"
And then she started to sing her ABC's...perfectly. Every single letter was crystal clear, and perfectly on pitch. I looked at her mom and asked how old she was, expecting her to be a small 4-year-old. She answered, "Oh, she'll be two tomorrow." WHAT?? She's not even two yet???? I was astounded. Then Jake, who will be two in a week and a half, came up to me and said, "Bwoo (blue) choo-choo!" I thought to myself, oh no, he's way behind!
And then I remembered a lesson I learned while in college. I had a psychology professor once who told us that many times parents get caught up in comparing their kids to others and don't like the word "average." We either get prideful or a little frustrated if they aren't where other children are. Then he blatantly told us, "90% of kids are average! My kids are average! Your kids will probably be average. Average is a good thing." He gave me a little life-lesson that day. Sure, all kids develop at different paces, but they're almost all average! There's no need to get caught up in the game of "how many colors can your child name?" because, let's face it, we're all average, and for us, average is perfect.
9 comments:
I find myself doing the same thing! It's so hard not to compare as a mother! Great post--I needed to hear that! :-)
He is far from average, Ariel! He's a boy, and boys don't talk as early as girls. I know he'll do exceptional things as he grows older. How can he not, with you and Joseph as his parents?
what a great post- i find myself doin gthe same thing and sometimes its so hard not to get caught up in the comparison! your little guy is too cute and you just seem like the best mom!! :)
when you told me this story today, i thought to myself "when did my kids get to be so average? I always thought that i would have a little brunette girl who was super smart." things just don't always end up that way, but i really love my average boys.
Little girl vs. little boy and talking ...girls usually win hands down. Crazy isn't it!
Hahaha "bwoo choo-choo!" Wish I was there yet again! Miss you!
That is so true. We are all average. I have found that I don't compare the second child at all to other kids. I think you get more easy going with each kid.
That last line is so sweet and well put.
We also love that train set at B&N!
I agree with Jess. I love my little average boy. I'm glad he's not too grown up!
Post a Comment