Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I spoke too soon

So, remember how I said that Jake was doing better with his toddler bed now that the novelty of being able to get in and out has worn off? Turns out, the novelty never did wear off. Apparently, since he wasn't able to get in and out of his bedroom at will, he figured he would just stay in bed. Well, that all changed when he learned how to open the child-proof doorknob! What?? Are you kidding me? Safety 1st, I have a little bone to pick with you...

Now that he's figured out how to open his doors again, naptime and bedtime have been a nightmare!! He just saunters out whenever he feels like it for a "drink" or just mostly to let me know that he is not, in fact, going to take a nap, and I can't make him, so there. Just a month ago I thought to myself as I put my wonderful, blissful, content toddler to sleep, "this is just too easy." I'm paying for it big time now. With interest. Three days in a row it's just been a battle of wills. And, as my own mother will attest to, I'm no push-over when it comes to a battle of wills. Apparently, neither is Jake. He has been fighting me tooth and nail during naptime especially. So, instead of getting things done (or, let's just be honest, taking a much needed nap myself) I spend two hours taking him back into his room over and over and over again. This super-nanny technique is becoming my go-to method for how to deal with this crazy stage, but I'm open to suggestions.

I know the kid is exhausted. So exhausted, in fact, that the other day while we were having one of our epic "battle of wills," I noticed it had been quiet for about half an hour so I decided to see what the heck was going on. This is what I found:
Yep, he fell asleep while on the floor playing with his firetruck. Exhausted. And he had a stinky diaper. Great.

This whole situation has been a nightmare (no pun intended). Joseph and I have both been wondering where our sweet, easy-going, good-natured child has gone, and when, OH WHEN, will he return??? I think I've finally met my match....

9 comments:

Meg said...

I feel your pain... We are dealing with the exact same thing. Ugh.

Jessica Sorensen said...

I am so glad Addi can open her door some days I just put her in her room during nap time and let her do whatever she wants while I sleep with the baby.

ade said...

ahhh, sweet picture of Jake. Way to capture the moment.

brandandbrit said...

I went through the EXACT same thing with Kayla! When she figured out how open the door I put tape all around the door knob so it made it impossible for her to open it. I can show you sometime if you want. That worked great. i found her all the time asleep on the floor and sometimes with a stinky diaper as well. Don't worry, I know this time is miserable, but it does get better.

BWei said...

Hey cousin :-)--We went through a very similar thing with Clara. We just had to lock her in her room (you might have to switch the knob around). She had sooo many naps where she finally went to sleep right by the door. Eventually she learned that the bed is more comfortable! It is frustrating when it comes to things like sleep that you can't just push a button and have them conk out--it's one of those things that we as parents can enforce but can't FORCE (darn it!). For us, not to be the bearer of bad news, Clara did eventually lose her nap, probably in big part due to the bed. But then we just put her to bed earlier, even though it's certainly not the perfect solution. It's definitely a tricky transition.

I am so glad we have these blogs to catch up. I know you're doing a great job, Angela--just know that you're not alone in the frustration of it all.

Samantha Fife said...

We had the same thing with Michaela. We tried getting her a toy or something cheap for each day she stayed in her bed (think Dollar store) and then at the end of the week she got to go on a date with daddy for ice cream or something. We also used stickers just like a potty chart. You will make it!

Tawnya said...

Ugh...I totally understand. No suggestions here, but if you get some great ones let me know. I'm STILL taking Spencer back to his bed!

Zepp Family said...

OK, I am totally in agreeance with the cousin that suggested to lock him in (even it means having to turn the knob around to prevent him being able to unlock himself). We have done this with all our girls. After a couple of weeks we never ended up having to lock it anymore...we just said we were and pretended to when we left the room and they always trusted us by that point and didn't bother to get out of bed to check.

Love the picture!

Lauren and Travis McDougal said...

Goodness...look what I have to look forward to.