Monday, October 18, 2010

Sicko

Yuck. I knew that there was a terrible bug going around here lately (Jake even had it about two weeks ago) but I had been lucky enough to have escaped its path thus far. That is, until yesterday. Holy cow! This thing was BAD! I woke up at 2 am on Sunday morning with my stomach just churning. I thought it was something I ate because I had gorged myself on pizza the night before (there seems to be a recurring pizza theme here lately...) In my mind's eye I could see that last piece of cheese pizza just laughing at me as I lay in bed about to hurl. From that moment on, I couldn't keep a single thing in my stomach all day long, not even sips of water or ice chips. To make matters worse, during all of this stomach upheaval, I started having pretty bad braxton-hicks contractions. That evening it got to the point where I was just throwing up bile, and Joseph made me call my doctor to see if there was anything I should do. They said they wanted me to go into the hospital to make sure everything was OK with the baby and get some fluids in me through an IV.

When we got to the hospital they monitored the baby (everything was fine) and put me on an IV and expected me to stay for just a few short hours. However, after they took my blood and some other fluid samples, apparently I was worse off then they originally thought. That's when my 2-3 hour stay turned into an overnight with ten bags of fluids put into me! I thought I might end up swimming out of the hospital by the time I checked out! But really, I felt SO much better when I left. The anti-nausea medicine was amazing, and I was just more tired than anything else.

So today I've just been resting and laying low all day. The worst is definitely over. The doctor at the hospital said that this virus that has been going around has been hitting pregnant women especially hard because it causes you to deplete anything in your stomach, and then you can't eat, which then makes pregnant women even more nauseous, and makes you throw up even more, and it's just a cyclical effect. Thank goodness for friends that just knock on your door at 8:30 am and take your child so you can sleep all morning (you're a lifesaver Jess) and for a wonderful husband who comes home during lunch to take care of you (love you Joseph) and even for a 2 1/2 year old who is more than willing to watch movies all afternoon so you can rest some more. Hopefully by tomorrow this will all be a thing of the past!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

oh you poor thing! I think thats what I had a few weeks ago and it sucked bad enough and I'm no prego so I can't imagine! Glad you're feeling a bit better !

ade said...

Dang, Angela - being sick is no fun - being sick and pregnant is the worst. Get better soon. Glad you are feeling better. Hope you are able to get some rest.
Love ya!

Valerie said...

yuck! Sorry that you're sick. I hope you are able to lay low and feel better soon!

Lauren and Travis McDougal said...

Sounds like a pretty icky sickness! Travis is sick right now and I'm trying everything in my power to avoid getting the sickness. Worked so far. (Knock on wood). Hope you're feeling better.

Mallory Stoker said...

Oh, I am so sorry! That sounds horrible. I bet you feel so much better though after the medicine and fluid. After they pumped me full, I felt like eating for the first time in days!

brandandbrit said...

I'm so sorry! That sounds terrible! I'm glad you are feeling better.

Zepp Family said...

How horrible! seriously, like being pregnant isn't hard enough.

So glad you are feeling better. It was great to see you all.

Hope you don't have a permanent aversion to pizza now....that would super suck!

Ben, Ursula and Isabella Dougherty said...

Hope you are feeling better. Viruses just need to stay away from pregnant women. You already have enough, right? Good luck!

Angela and Enrique said...

ugh! That sucks! Glad you are feeling better!

Melissa H. said...

Oh honey I am so sorry about the virus! Thomas definitely vouches for how much better you feel after you have had 10 bags of IV fluid ha ha! Miss you!

Bethany said...

I've been thinking a lot about you and hope you're doing better! Love you so much.

Bethany said...

P.S. Does Jake still ask for "yar-yar?"