Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The dental school hates us

The news is calling it snowmaggedon. Students are calling it a blessing. Joseph and I are calling it a nightmare because the dental school is calling it a funny little joke.

Like much of the country, we got blasted by snowpocolypse '11. Official records say that we got anywhere between 12-15 inches of snow, but the drift outside our house was well above two feet. The whole city shut down. The Iowa City Transit busses stopped running, the public schools and university closed, and we were all expecting a nice little snow day. But, apparently the dental school hates us because they are separate from the rest of the university and their clinics were open!! Which meant that Joseph had to go in!! Which meant he had to walk!! Which meant that he was out of the house at 6:45 am shoveling a pathway through the snow so that he could at least get out onto the unplowed road in front of our house and trudge through the snow. Luckily, right after he finished the path he got a phone call that one of his friends was getting a ride to the school and asked if he wanted to tag along. YES. So at 8:30 I kissed my husband, and a day that had such great potential, goodbye.
He called me later to inform me that hardly any of the faculty showed up for clinic, but every single student did. They must have thought they were playing a funny little joke. We're not laughing!
Oh well, Joseph got some good studying in which would have been hard for him to do at home, and he ended up coming home after lunch anyway so the day ended up not being all that bad afterall.
On a completely unrelated and much happier note, Jake peed in the potty today. On his own. And he wanted to! Forget the fact that half of it got on the floor and not in the toilet at all, but, hey, we've got to celebrate the little things over here.
Also, Eli is still just as sweet as can be. I love my boys.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

That stinks! I'm glad you guys still got to enjoy some time together though. Well, I gotta go get ready for the beach. Peace out! (j/k love you!)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh don't even get me started on the snow. ugh.... I HATE SNOW!!!!!!!! I can't believe the school was open either. Mitch on the other hand had NO way of getting to school so he had a snow day. But I'm sure if we lived closer he would have found a way to walk or something. I'm glad you were able to spend the afternoon with your hubby before super block starts. and again. I'm so sorry don't get me started on it.... ugh... I'm so sorry, and good luck with this next semester. Let me know if you need anything!

Ben, Ursula and Isabella Dougherty said...

That is so unreal. I'll be more careful when I complain about a cold day here. It NEVER includes snow.

ade said...

That is CRAZY!! I can't believe how much snow you got...Stay warm and give those boys some hugs from us!
Love you!