Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bad habits

Jake has been gnawing incessantly at his fingers lately. Who knew that developing a nail biting habit could occur at such a young age? At first, he only did it when he was nervous, but lately he's been doing it when he's nervous, bored, happy, just about any time! I've tried not to bring too much attention to it, but his nails are down to nubs now!

And what do you do when all your fingernails are gone? Bite your toenails, obviously.
And that's where I draw the line, folks!! This is so strange to me. At first I tried not to bring any attention to it, hoping that he would just outgrow it. But when he started going for his toes I decided we needed to put an end to this ASAP!

A few days ago I bought that stuff to put on your fingers that supposedly tastes bad enough to make you stop chewing on your nails. I'm not sure how well it's working, but I'm giving it my all right now. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Hahaha, seeing Jake with his foot on his mouth was hilarious. That is one weird kid! Let us know what happens with helping him cut back.

Chris said...

Maybe try putting gloves on him. He might just chew right through them, though.