Friday, July 3, 2009

Some thoughts on Girls Camp

I have been a very busy woman lately. Some of you may know that I have been called to be the Stake Girls Camp Director. For those who have no idea what the heck that means, basically I was asked by our church leader to be in charge of the annual girls camp that takes place during the summer. The girls are ages 12-17, and there are about 10 LDS churches in the area that involve their girls in this particular camp. I was asked about 8 months ago to be in charge, and we have been planning and coordinating from the very beginning, and now it's finally almost here. Girls Camp starts on Monday!

I've had a good time planning everything and getting it all together with the rest of my committee, although it has been very stressful at times, too. This week especially has been devoted to getting things ready. Joseph said that now he knows how I feel with him gone all day because I've been so busy with getting things ready for Girls Camp that I haven't been around much. Not much fun, is it sweetheart...sorry, it will all be over next week.

Although I am super excited for everything, I am also a little bit (ok, very) nervous. Here's the deal: I am 24 years old (almost 25...yikes!), which is not much older than many of these girls that are going to be at camp. In fact, I feel like it was just last year that I was going to camp myself. How am I supposed to be a responsible adult when all who know me know how very irresponsible I actually am? How will these girls listen to me when I am barely a few years their senior?

As camp gets closer and closer, I am starting to realize that maybe responsibility doesn't mean being older. Maybe the reason that I am in this calling is not to be "in charge" and have people follow my every order. I'm certainly not the most administratively organized person around so that definitely is not the reason (unless I am supposed to learn that skill...hmmm...)Maybe the reason that I am in this calling is just to be an example to the young women. Maybe that's what responsibility is...just being an example. I am certainly not one to say that I am a perfect example of anything, but I really have tried to be the best that I can be, and of course, fall short far too many times. Maybe I am in this calling to help the girls see that there are people who have been right where they are, and who understand the things they are going through, maybe all too well.

What I do know is that as I have organized this week-long camp for the girls, I have felt a special spirit about it. I hope that as I go to camp next week and carry out all the things that I have been planning for 8 months that the girls will have a wonderful experience and that they will more fully realize their Heavenly Father's love for each of them. After all, this certainly isn't about me. It's about each of the girls individually. I hope it all works out!!

6 comments:

Bethany said...

I'll be thinking of you! Love you!

Whitney Seaberg said...

That brings up memories for me. I was called to be the 1st counselor in the YW when I was just 19yrs old. I thought, how am I supposed to be in charge of these girls when just over a year ago I was in YW's? But it was just what the girls needed. Someone they could relate to. I bet you did awesome in planning and the girls will have so much fun! You'll probably have fun too, I know I did as a YW leader at camp :)

Rachel said...

It will be awesome, all the girls will love and respect you and you will leave being their hero!
I so wish I could be there, even for one day. I cannot understand why i would get called to this and then be 8 months pregnant for camp, BUT, you guys will do GREAT and you'll have way more fun without a cranky huge pregnant lady!

Elliott Family said...

You will do just fine, Angela. Remember how the young women loved you here at the Bay City Ward. You are still missed. You're an easy to love person. Enjoy yourself.
Love ya,
Melinda

Zepp Family said...

Have a fantastic week! I always LOVED girls camp and I have all the confidence in the world that the girls in your stake will as well under your conscious direction.

Tristan said...

Hey Angela! Jared's brother lives in Flint, Michigan and that's where we were. We had fun in Frankenmuth (even with Guy getting locked in the car there!). Next week I'll be going back to Michigan again (just me and the two boys) to see my grandma in Saginaw. I'm excited to see her and pick some fresh blueberries!

Thank you for sharing your testimony yesterday. I'm glad you had a great time at girls camp!