Friday, February 11, 2011

Impressed or horrified?

For Christmas I got Joseph Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the wii. Often when Joseph comes home from school, he will sit down and play for a few minutes to unwind while Jake watches him and helps him look for stars. Lately as soon as Joseph walks in the door, Jake starts to jump up and down and yell, "Get the stars daddy!!" It's been a fun activity for the two of them to do together.

However, you can imagine my shock when I woke up one morning to find that Jake had left his room, turned on Mario, and had started playing all on his own! As in, he was in one of the levels (I'm amazed that he got into a level at all, it's not easy with all kinds of buttons and pointing that you have to do) and had figured out how to run, jump (and run and jump together), shake the controller to spin, fly, and collect stars. What is even more amazing to me is that had connected the two controllers needed to play this game, and he was using them both in sync. At that moment I didn't know whether to be impressed or horrified. He's not even three yet and he's already playing video games!! He was so cute, though, I wasn't going to stop him! Of course, he died and fell off cliffs several times, but I really was slightly amazed while I watched him play. I could almost see the wheels turning in his head as he figured everything out. Still, I wasn't expecting having to worry about my son becoming addicted to video games before he was even potty trained!!

Yes...that's right...still not potty trained...ugh!! But that, of course, is a whole other post.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

kids are amazing with technology. that is seriously the cutest thing though! (and don't stress about potty training- somedays when we're out and about i wish madilyn wasn't!! ha! public restrooms and germs- gross. its hard but good luck with it!)