Jake was quietly sitting in his chair with his nose in a book the other day when suddenly he stopped, looked up, and exclaimed, "I'm afraid of birds!" Joseph and I were a little taken aback, and didn't know quite how to respond seeing as he's never said anything like this before. We thought maybe we heard him wrong, so we responded, "You're afraid of what?" And he repeated, "I'm afraid of birds. Birds will eat me." I wasn't exactly sure where this all came from, but I tried to explain to him that birds only eat bugs and berries, not people. As much as I try to tell him that birds are friendly and don't bite, he seems to think otherwise. One day when we were trying to leave the house, he stopped cold on our front step. I tried to get him to move his little tush, but he wouldn't budge. I couldn't grab him and carry him since I had my hands full with Eli's carrier and diaper bag, so I just had to pursuade him to follow me. Then a big flock of birds from the bush outside our house raced passed us and Jake stood frozen and wide-eyed. All of a sudden it dawned on me. OH! He's probably afraid of the birds in front of our house. He probably thinks they'll run into him. Either way, I'll let him tell you about it:
P.S. This was the second take. During the first one I had to keep telling Jake to get his hands out of his pants. Boys...
4 comments:
I told Athena if she's mean to the geese at the zoo they will bite. Big mistake, she stands dead still if she sees one. I thought the "If you are nice, they will be too." would make it better. Fail. At least Jacobs fear isn't mommy inspired.
Hahaha, I loved how he said, "No-o-o-o-o-o!" I wonder how that fear developed!
Aw! He's such a cutie! Kids are so funny with how these things start. My mom was terrified of cowboys when she was little. P.s. she lived in downtown Aurora, IL (a very urban area...no cowboys ANYWHERE. lol). Love it.
Gretchen
proverbsthirtyhuh.blogspot.com
Would you laugh if I told you he was in good company? Dano is terrified of birds, too!! So, sorry. It could be a life-long fear. I think my fear of snakes is a little more realistic, but who am I to judge?!
Post a Comment