Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Healthy Eats

cereal_tilted copy



This blog post is dedicated to my amazing, talented, healthy-eating Dad.  As some of you may know, about 5 years ago my dad had open-heart surgery for a triple bypass.  With that as a wake-up call, he realized the importance of putting healthy foods into our bodies so they can run at their best capacity.  He spent a lot of time researching just what kinds of food were the best for keeping your heart, body, and mind healthy.  He came up with a list of ingredients, and started looking for foods, especially breakfast foods, that contained all, or at least most, of those ingredients.  But (shocker) he couldn't find any that not only contained all those ingredients, but that actually tasted good!  So, with that, he went to work making his own.

To be honest, for a while there I thought he was crazy.  He would spend literally hours every night for months and months working on different formulas to get exactly the right combination.  One of his favorite things to do was to go to the local health food stores within 100 mile radius and check out what "super-ingredients" they had.  Finally, after a few years, he perfected his recipe, got a trademark, and named it "Nutrismart Cereals."  Although, most people who know him just refer to it as "John's Cereal."  Check out this list of ingredients:

Almonds
Amaranth
Barley
Brown Rice
Buckwheat
Cinnamon
Cornmeal
Cranberries
Flaxseeds
Garbanzos
Millet
Oats
Quinoa
Rye
Sea Salt
Sesame Seeds
Spelt
Cane Sugar
Wheat

Hello!  This cereal is like oatmeal on steroids!  And, beyond being an incredibly healthy fuel for your body, it actually tastes GOOD!  Even Joseph likes it, which is really saying something since he rarely will knowingly eat something that contains (among other things) brown rice, barley, and whole wheat.

After enjoying the cereal in our family for a few years now, he has finally decided to start selling it to others.  He took up the local farmer's market and was very successful, with tons of positive feedback.  His website is finally LIVE and you can check it out here: www.nutrismartcereal.com.  Way to go, Dad, I'm SO proud of you!!
  

4 comments:

Aul4 said...

Good luck! It looks delish. I'd order it in a hearbeat (pardon the pun) if it didn't contain wheat. (Gluten allergy among 3 out of 4 of us.) Merry Christmas to you and your family, A!

Sarah and Wes said...

Angela, this is so COOL! Can I re post this on my blog? I can't wait to send it to my mom, she's such a health nut. Thanks for sharing! And by the way, I went to the website, and I do think that there would be a big demand for gluten-free. I have several friends who can't eat gluten.

Tawnya said...

Ok, seriously! That is so awesome!

Lauren and Travis McDougal said...

We've tried it before and it is delicious!!