Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I can be obedient

Jake and I have been working on obedience lately.  I was getting so tired of saying, "Jake, don't do this," and, "Jake, don't do that."  I decided instead of telling him NOT to do things that I should take a more positive spin and reward him for doing things that he should.  Thus, our experiment with the Obedience Chart came to be.  Whenever Jake was obedient, he could put a star on his chart, and when he filled up his chart we were going to take him to the ice cream shop!  

The verdict: HUGE success!!  For both of us.  Jake loved putting the star stickers on his chart, and would often ask me to ask him to do something just so he could be obedient.  It was not uncommon for him to say things like, "Mommy, I wanna be more 'bedient, can I clean my room?" or, "Mommy, I wanna be more 'bedient, can I share my toys with Eli?"  Ummm...yes!

It took about two weeks until he finally completed his chart.  We were so proud of him and now we need to make a new chart up.  His next reward?  Ice skating (he chose it).  We'll see how it goes!   



3 comments:

Tawnya said...

That is so awesome! What a good kid! He needs to rub off on Spencer more!

Bethany said...

Love those boys! Congrats Jake!

Zepp Family said...

Super idea! So awesome it worked wonders too :) Keep up the goodness everyone!!! XOXOXO