Monday, March 5, 2012

Mario Party

Can you believe Jake is turning 4 this week?  He had a pretty rad combined birthday party with one of his best friends, Spencer over the weekend.  The two of them are just five days apart, so Tawnya and I teamed up to throw a Super Mario Bros. birthday party for these two Mario maniacs.


Some of the decorations:

We had all the kids make their own Yoshi treat bags to fill with goodies to take home.  They each wrote their names on their bags, and Jake, of course, wrote, "Mario."  Nice.

Then we played Star Power Coin walk (i.e. a cake walk where they got chocolate coins to put in their bags).


Next we played "Rescue Princess from Bowser" by taking the kids on a treasure hunt to find Princess. Along the way they had to get their "fire power" (balloons) and shoot at the goombas.  It was pretty adorable:

Then we fed the kids lunch (of course, the dads apparently thought it was necessary that they should try it out before we gave any to the kids):
We ate goomba cupcakes:


 And blew out candles on the Mario cake (made by yours truly...I'm a little proud of myself):


Then we let the kids play together and called it a day!  They had an absolute blast!!  The best part about throwing combined birthday parties is that I only had to do half of the work!  A win-win in my book any day.

7 comments:

Jared & Tristan said...

Looks like so much fun! You and Tawnya did a great job. I love the cake and the Yoshi bags!

Aul4 said...

Oh, ANGELA! What a GREAT party for 4 year olds! Happy birthday, Jake. I can't believe he's 4 already. The cake is amazing, and the giant fire extinguisher on the wall made me LOL. xoxoxo, Ariel!

Joe'n'Jess said...

it was seriously awesome!could not have picked a better theme for those boys and it was executed wonderfully.

Lance and Melissa said...

Evelyn could not stop talking about the party all day! Especially that they got to throw fireballs ("but don't worry, they weren't REAL fireballs--just balloons"). Thanks so much for inviting her, you guys did a great job and she loved it!

Tawnya said...

Truly was the best party ever!! Thanks so much for everything you did!

Zepp Family said...

This party looks awesome (from Madz)! I wish I could have been there, Jakey (from Olivia)!

The cake is impressive, you should be very proud (from Sis ;))

DOUGHERTY FAMILY said...

What a fun party you had Jake to celebrate your great day!!! and...what a great job you did putting it all together Angela!!! Great memories for him!!!!