The local high school recently put on the musical "Pinocchio" and they needed some extra little kids to be (and I quote) "the naughty children who turn into donkeys." I thought to myself, I've got one of those! Haha, just kidding, but they actually did need kids to be extras in the play so I asked Jake if that was something that he would be interested in doing, and when I told him he would get to wear a costume he immediately jumped at the chance.
Jake and the other children practiced with the high school cast every night for a week then had three nights of performances. Jake had one word in the play - "heehaw," which was supposed to be said when he was asked what his name was. The first time he practiced, he refused to put on his donkey tail and ears and when he was asked what his name was, he answered, "JAKE!" I asked him later why he didn't put on the costume and say "heehaw" and he told me it's because he didn't want to be a donkey...he wanted to be a good child! I explained to him that it was just pretend, and that he was really a good child even if he was pretending to be a naughty donkey. After that he played his part without a hitch!
I wish I could say that the play was a huge success but in all reality, the show was saved only by the adorable children who knew all their parts perfectly. The high schoolers should have taken a hint from the little kids because, unlike the older lot, the children knew exactly what they were doing. Lest you think I'm being too harsh, I'll post a link when the show goes up on youtube. I think you'll find I'm actually being rather generous.
Even though the play wasn't as polished as one might expect from a high school, I was so proud of Jake! He was thoroughly and sufficiently embarrassed each night by my raucous applause. I wasn't allowed to take pictures or video because of copyright constraints, but as I mentioned before, the show will be going up on YouTube in a couple of...well...actually I don't know how long it's going to take, but it's going to go up. I'll post the link when it does!
So proud of our little naughty child! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment