Thursday, January 29, 2009

Negligence

I was reading in my Parenting magazine a couple weeks ago an article about what to do if you accidentally locked your child into your car. As I read it, I distinctly remember thinking, "What kind of parent would lock their child in the car? That's just negligence!" Well, it turns out that I'm that negligent mother.

However, in my defense, I didn't lock Jake in the car. Technically, he locked me out! It all went down this afternoon at the local Hy-vee grocery store. I put Jake into his seat then gave him the keys to play with to keep him busy while I was putting the bags of groceries into the car. I finished putting all the groceries in and slammed the door shut. Unbeknownst to me, Jake had pressed the lock button on the keyring, so when I shut the door, I also locked Jake inside!

So there I was, standing out in the freezing cold with my baby trapped inside the car. I could see his little fingers right on the "unlock" button, and I kept saying, "Press it, press it!" and he looked at me, smiled, and then dropped the keys. I called Joseph on my cell phone to see if he could somehow get over to the grocery store with his set of keys and unlock the door. We called one of our good friends (thanks Taysia!) to go pick him up, but before she got there I saw two police cars and an ambulance drive up to the store and I hurried and asked the cop if anyone could help me get the door open. He was there because of a medical emergency (which I was horrified to find out later was someone who had slipped inside the store and her baby hit her head and had been knocked unconscious) so that obviously took precedence over my minor situation. When he was done and the ambulance had left, he helped me get the car open. Jake was having a ball the whole time. I wish I had pictures because he was just smiling and playing around in his seat. He had absolutely no idea what was going on. We're all safe and sound, and I've learned my lesson. I will never again give Jake the keys to play with unless I am inside the car with him!!

8 comments:

Genevieve said...

that is actually one of my biggest fears! i try to always open my door or another door of the car before i shut madilyn's door. i'm such a nerd huh? glad everything worked out! :)

Carrie said...

Glad everything was okay. I did that once when Jonathan was a baby with him (only I didn't remember he was in the car). I plead new baby brain.

Tawnya said...

That is so sad!! I am VERY absent-minded and I have locked my keys in several times. I have made special effort not to do that with Spencer. Luckily, our car isn't fancy enough to have a cool little clicker. Disaster averted.

Samantha Fife said...

You must not be a negligent mother because you take the time to red books on how to AVOID being a negligent mother!!! This kind of stuff happens to the best of us. It'll be a good story forever now....

Aul4 said...

You're a great mommy, Ariel! Stuff happens to the best of us. I'm glad it all turned out well. Time to buy Jake a set of blank keys from the hardware store!

xoxoxoxo

Zepp Family said...

That is so crazy that that happened to you because funny enough Madalyn and Olivia did the EXACT same thing this week....at separate times to boot. Not with the keyless entry remote, but with the lock button on the inside and the keys being inside as well. Luckily, they both eventually were able to unlock the door with me coaching and screaming from the outside.

After I had the keys in my possession I purposely locked them back in and made them practice unlocking the door from the inside until they were proficient at it.

Chelsea said...

Yikes! I could totally imagine that happening to me. I'm glad he wasn't just screaming! And I guess it made you grateful that you were you and not the lady with the unconcious child.

The Smith's - said...

Angela, how scary, I am so sorry. I could see myself doing that - I will call you if I do!! Hey my mom said she could email you some girls camp stuff if you would like, just leave your email on my blog and I will pass it on to her. I have so many great memories from Girl's Camp with you, I am sure you will do a great job.