Monday, April 13, 2009

Egg wars and Easter

Happy Easter everyone!! We had a very enjoyable Easter weekend with some of our friends (although I am sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm not sure what I was thinking). It just wouldn't be Easter if we didn't decorate eggs, so we spent our Saturday evening decorating eggs and having an "egg wars" tournament. The Andersons introduced us to this fun game that Joseph said will be a new Dougherty tradition. Basically everyone decorates a hard-boiled egg and gives it some sort of warrior name like "The Terminator" (I know, it really helps us remember the true meaning of the season). Then you have face-offs. Two people take their eggs and hit them together and only one cracks. If yours doesn't crack then you move on to the next round. It gets pretty competitive, so you can imagine how Joseph's face lit up when he learned about this "egg-citing" new game (lame, I know, I just couldn't resist!!). We also enjoyed chocolate-covered strawberries that were, of course, dipped in pastel colored white-chocolate so they were very "easter-ish".

Then on Easter morning the Easter bunny came! He (or she) brought all kinds of fun goodies for the family, including an Easter book for Jake and the 9th and final season of Seinfeld for Joseph (the collection is now complete!). The Easter bunny also brought a beautiful Easter Lily plant for me. That bunny is so thoughtful.

We hope that you all had a great easter weekend and took time to reflect on the meaning of the season. I am so grateful for the love of our Savior and his resurrection which made it possible for us to live with our Heavenly Father again. Around this time of the year I often think about the phrase, "There would be no Christmas without Easter." We wouldn't celebrate the birth of our Lord if he wasn't our Savior who died for us then rose again. What a wonderful day to remember!

4 comments:

ade said...

I love to paint eggs too. Glad you guys enjoyed Easter. That Jake is too cute...getting so dang BIG!!!!

Love ya,
Adrianne

Mindy said...

What a fun game; Andy would get a kick out of that! Thanks for the idea. Sounds like you guys had a blast this weekend.

Sarah and Wes said...

Ooooh, I like that tradition!!! It's a done deal. Glad you guys had a good time! The photo shoot looked like it went well too!

Joe'n'Jess said...

I'm so glad you had us over. We had a lot of fun! And i must admit that i loved the chocolate covered strawberries.