Thursday, January 21, 2010

Stir-cRaZy!

We are going stir-crazy up in here! The weather has been craptacular here in Iowa for the past month, and Jake and I are desperately trying to think of ways to stay sane while staying inside. We've been playing with his new (to us) Thomas the Train set as of late, but even that is starting to lose its appeal after spending hours and hours (literally) every day playing with it. I might blow a fuse if I hear the Elmo theme song one more time. His books are getting a lot of use out of them, but we really just need some new ideas. Does anyone out there have any good suggestions for fun, creative, and cheap things to do with a toddler while stuck indoors?? Any ideas will help, I just haven't had these creative juices flowing as of late.

Just for your entertainment, here are a few pictures of Jake playing with his Thomas the Train set. You may not be able to tell from the pictures, but he's absolutely in love with it. I ordered a huge box of used trains and tracks from eBay and got a great deal on it. Hopefully it will be something he will enjoy for years to come!

6 comments:

Abby said...

Make a sensory table. get some spoons and some jars to put them in. I use a rectangle container for Isaac. We use black beans, colored rice, cotton balls...anything. You could even put snow in it so he can play with the snow inside. I haven't done that yet but will soon...

I hope that helps. Love ya, Abby

Nicole said...

My siblings and I loved finger painting with whipped cream... my mom would put food coloring in different bowls and we would paint away... and it's edible, even better!

Aul4 said...

Home made play dough?

Chelsea said...

50 dollars will get you and Jake a year pass to the museum. But that still requires you to go outside... There's also the tot lot.

Gretchen said...

toilet/paper towel roll creations! We did this with some of our preschoolers a few years ago and it was SUPER popular and it's recycling. All you need is glitter, markers, paint, construction paper, whatever...you can come up with all kinds of fun things! The 'net has some fun ideas.

Elliott Family said...

If there is a library close by go to it for story time. If you want to get messy, put rolled paper on the floor, have Jake in his diaper and let him step in paint(that is put in pie pans) and walk on the paper. Use the primary colors and he can make the secondary colors. Amanda and Donald loved that when they were little. We saved the paper and used it for wrapping paper. The grandparents really liked it. There is a book called mouse paint that is nice to read to go along wtih painting with your feet. Jake would have a blast. Make goop, cornstarch and water. Put salt on cookie sheet and let him drive his cars or train in it. Get out the pots and pans and have a band.