About a year ago I noticed my jaw started popping. Have you guys ever had that? It's incredibly annoying. Every time I would talk, chew, eat, or anything all I heard was POP, POP, POP! It was like snap, crackle, and pop from those rice krispies commercials were camping out in my jaw. I asked Joseph about it and he told me that jaw popping usually corrects itself over time, but to be careful about what I ate. Yeah, right. So, of course I wasn't careful. One morning while we were visiting some family in Michigan over Spring break (did I mention that? Oh yeah, pictures to come!) I woke up and my jaw wasn't popping anymore! I was so excited, until I realized that the reason that it wasn't popping was because it wasn't opening!! I couldn't open my jaw all the way, probably less than 1/3 of the way actually, and then I was in excruciating pain!
I went to see a dentist as soon as we got back from Michigan. They took x-rays, all of which came back inconclusive (the dentist actually told me that the x-rays really aren't meant for diagnosing TMJ issues...really? Then why the heck are you taking them? Come on, guys...) Anyway, she gave me some pretty good muscle relaxers and pain meds then I'm off to a specialist in a month.
Has anyone else dealt with this before? It's really weird, and they keep telling me that it might just correct itself on its own. Of course, I'm taking that with a grain of salt because this is coming from the same people that took x-rays for no reason... In the meantime, I'm on doctors orders to stay away from anything especially chewy and try to relax my TMJ as much as possible. Does that mean not talking too? That might be a little too hard for me...
5 comments:
I had that and it did eventually go away but not for like a year or so good luck.
my jaw has popped for years, so many years that I can't even remember when it started. My father-in-law is a dentist and he said that it can because of some type of trauma to the jaw, but I can't think of anything that would've caused mine.
I've had it lock up before but usually it would eventually do one large painful pop and then be fine (not fun). I've never actually gone to see a specialist (or anyone really) about it... I probalby should. Let me know what they say about yours :)
My mom has TMJ. It mostly corrected itself for her. I hope that happens for you as well. Take it easy.
here's my funny story:
when i was 15 a really fat girl sat on my head (LONG STORY) and I felt ok but the next day could not open my jaw at all. We did all this and found out I had cracked the bone the jaw bone sits in...or something. Now it pops all the time. lame. I feel your pain.
Good luck!
My popping goes on and off. Sometimes my teeth and mouth are so tight when I sleep and during the day that it gets worse or comes back so I pay attention to avoid it and it gets fixed. My dentist told me if it gets real bad or starts hurting to go back but so far it has been ok.Good luck!
Post a Comment