Friday, April 16, 2010

Parenting issues

I'm pretty sure I was the best parent before I had kids. I had a solution for everything. i.e. Your kids are throwing a tantrum? Well, don't you dare give in to them! You've got to be strong! They're being too whiney? You've got to stop spoiling them. I can't believe that your child is just kicking and screaming in the middle of the grocery store! Get a hold of your children, people! Don't smother them, but love them. I was pretty confident that I would make none of the mistakes that I saw other parents making.

And then I became a parent. Suddenly, my life is full of mistakes. And second-guesses. And questions. And hoping that I am not ruining my child for life. Suddenly, I am that mother that I never thought I would be, you know, the one whose child is throwing that very tantrum at the grocery store because they want to eat the banana that you just put in the grocery cart.

But here's the thing: I absolutely love being a parent. More than I ever thought I would. But it is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. Not necessarily physically...although, let's be honest, giving birth wasn't exactly the easiest thing I've ever done...and come to think of it, neither was running full speed across the playground to save my dangling child from the monkey bars...or carrying two kids plus two diaper bags plus a stroller to the car...alright, scratch that, being a parent is physically demanding. But more than that, I feel like parenting is mentally challenging, especially when it comes to discipline. Like I mentioned before, it's the second guessing and just hoping and praying that my child will turn out ok. i.e. Is it ok that his time-outs are really nothing more than a seperation from the situation instead of a punishment? Or is that going to come back to bite me? Will the fact that I lost my cool and yelled this afternoon because he pushed his friend for the umpteenth time scar him? When I think things like this, I try to remember something that my friend told me once. She said, "Well, luckily kids don't remember much that happens before the age of 4, so this age is just practice for when they're older!" I often rely on that fact. Hopefully, as long as Jake knows that he is loved more than anything in this world, the mistakes that I make as a parent will be forgotten and this age can be used as "practice."

I would like to take this moment to officially apologize for any judgments that I may have passed on parents in the past. Being a parent is tough, and I don't assume to know answers anymore. I have a few opinions (that psychology degree had to be good for something), but those are open to change.

I would also like to take this moment to apologize to Jake for any long-lasting damage that I cause him. Maybe I'll get this parenting thing down by the time the next one comes. Please don't remember my mistakes, just remember that I love you!!!

Finally, I would like to apologize for the length of this post. Those of you who read to the end are real troopers!

10 comments:

TM said...

O Angela, your a great Mom! I think Jake is going to turn out just fine! He already is a great kid! But I'm the same way full of advice and opinions but when it comes down to it its not as simple! Have I mentioned we need to get together! Times Up is calling my name!!!

Joe'n'Jess said...

heres the deal. YOU are a fantastic parent, jake is an angel. its his unruly friends/my kids that teach him things like biting, hitting, and screaming. you've taught him well. but then he sees other kids doing it and thinks, "hey, that looks like fun". you should be posting about YOUR techniques so the rest of us parents can use them on our monster children and end the cycle of bad behavior.

~Kate said...

Amen to what Jess said! You are an awesome parent and I hope that I am as good of a parent as you are if I ever have kids!

Amy said...

I am a trooper and I bring bad news. My children remember with great detail things as young as 1 year old and yes, it includes discipline mistakes I have made.

Alas, I have one piece of advice; remember that parenting is a lifelong job and you'll be doing the same things over and over, and over, and over, and over again until you have certainly driven yourself, your spouse, and your children insane an that's when you realize that life is insanity.

My point being; embrace the insanity and it turns into bliss. Most importantly, don't judge yourself or your children - he's not in prison for beating someone to a pulp - he's just learning by experimentation. And he won't end up in prison (or anything else awful) because you'll tell him three million times that hitting (and so on forever with all the lovely things children do to test boundaries) is not okay.

Oh yeah, and the yelling thing; better you on occasion than the prison warden later. Ha! You are a great Mom. I know this, even though I've not had the privilege to see you in action, because you love him and you have a desire to be the best parent you can be. In the end just remember to go the the Lord with all your parenting concerns and follow his example plastered all over the scriptures, cause he's the awesomest parent ever ;)

And now you're the troooper for reading this comment!

Chelsea said...

I LOVE the post. I feel the same way. Nature vs. nurture? Some days are, "gee, I think I'm a pretty good mom" and the other days are "holy cow, who's child are you? It's got to be innate because I'm sure you didn't learn all those bad things from me" You're a great mom, we just all have those days. And yes, time-outs are actually supposed to be just a separation from the situation, so they can calm down. It isn't supposed to be a punishment really. And don't worry. Ethan was in time out almost the whole day at Jakes age. Now it's maybe once a month. So don't worry, it gets better!

Melissa H. said...

I agree with all the above comments! One day i will be saying the same thing!

Nicole said...

Yes, I did read the whole post!! I feel the same way--there are so many times where the textbook answers just don't apply. I was totally that person that said before I had kids that,"my kids will never act like that!" and yep, i'm eating my words! thank goodness kids are so forgiving, resilient, and won't remember the terrible 2's! I'm sure you are doing a fabulous job!!! btw, if you guys ever want to hang out, we would love to--we're only an hr away!!

Barbara said...

I love you Angela!

Jennifer said...

I always say, "Disciplining would be easy if parenting weren't so exhausting."

Anne Dougherty said...

Ahh yes, it's a sad realization isn't it? I have become the mother that I used to think had no control over her clan of rag-a-muffins. I enjoyed reading your post.
Anne