I was thinking the other night about how it is the most ironic thing ever that I married a dentist. I absolutely LOATHE the dentist. Don't get me wrong, my dentist growing up was a nice enough guy (shout out to Dr. Kane!) but I really and truly had a love/hate relationship with him. Great guy, terrible profession. So for those of you who are bored enough to read this blog, please allow me to explain myself.As I contemplated where my hatred of the dental profession came from, I had an epiphane. I think it stems from the fact that as I sit in that dental chair, I am having a relative stranger poke and prod my teeth and gums with a tool that looks eerily similar to Captain Hook's arm. I know that he is sitting there judging me. Judging my teeth, counting the imperfections, and seeing dollar signs while I sit anxiously for the results (my dad always jokes about how he single handedly put our dentist's kids through college). And therefore, the only people who love the dentist are those who have perfect teeth. After the ordeal is over, those with a perfect mouth are told, "There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Go on your merry way and see me in 6 months so I can tell you this again." However, as is too often the case with me, I am told, "See here?? Do you see this x-ray??? You're going to need to come back next week, that looks very worrisome to me."
I swear I take good care of my teeth, even better than my husband at times! Brush and floss twice a day! Is it soft teeth? Heredity maybe? It's certainly not drinking too much pop (as some of you know, my personal motto is "Sip all day, get decay" which comes from a sign that hangs in Dr. Kane's office). Although I don't know, and may never know, the answer to that question, the one thing I do know is this: It is extremely ironic that I married a dentist!! Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. At least the person poking and prodding my teeth and gums from now on won't be a relative stranger!
8 comments:
I am exactly the same way. I would rather give birth again than go to the dentist. I also have bad teeth despite brushing. Jared has done a lot of work on me this year and it was slightly better because I wasn't afraid to tell him it hurt and he was very careful since he knew he had to go home with me.
You are so funny.
You know that I have NEVER left a dental check-up cavity free.There are just a few things i need to teach you about going to the dentist. The gas is your friend, it turns a scary visit, into a hilarious visit. If the dentist doesn't offer it, just cry and say you are really nervous. Bang, instant offer. The other thing you must remember is that whenever the dentist asks "can you feel this", ALWAYS SAY YES. Your dental checkups are about to get a lot better my friend.
Angela, you should write a book. Seriously. I'm not kidding.
Hilarious! Hey, I'll be at my parent's for the next few days (leaving tomorrow) and will gladly watch the Jakester if you've got more dental appts. :)
When I was young I wanted to be a dentist. I dated a lot of guys who oddly enough were going to be dentists. and then I married Derek, who was going to go to medical school. Until about 6 months into our marriage when he decided to be a dentist. Is it just me?
I am sorry. I am that girl who has had only two cavities her whole life. I don't mind going and rarely have anything they complain about (unless they are trying to convince me to have oral surgery, THAT'S a different story.)
I feel your irony pain, Angela. I married a lawyer, and I can't stand politics and law and all that. It's Greek to me. My Dad was a lawyer, too. You'd think I'd have picked it up all those years growing up. Too bad it's not hereditary, being lawyer-minded. At least with Joe being a dentist you won't have to fork-out as much to be told, "You'll have to come back next week - this xray looks worrisome!" And maybe I won't have to pay an arm and a leg to get a will written up :)
You guys are going to Disney World in a few weeks? So are we!!!! More like a month though. Get excited!
Post a Comment