Tuesday, May 5, 2009

To leash or not to leash, that is the question


We have some big news!! Nope, not another baby, don't pee your pants just yet. We're going to be going to Florida for a little vacay in (gasp) 9 days!!! We got a fabulous deal on airfare awhile back that we just couldn't pass up, and since Joseph has Thursday and Friday off next weekend we're taking advantage and going to the Sunshine State! We're going to visit Joseph's brother Ben and his family and take a day to go to Disney World then visit the beach. This has been a very exciting time of planning and looking forward to spending time with friends and family, but it has caused a discussion that has turned into a heated little debate at our house. Here's the story:

I was thinking about how it's going to be taking an extremely active little one-year-old around Disney World. I have taken him on shopping trips to the mall and on walks and such, and although he will sit in his stroller for a little while, after about 30 minutes he's done and wants to get out and run around, which is what he really prefers. I want to be able to let him walk around on his own, but come on, this is Disney World! I can't just let him wander around, and he really doesn't like to have his hand held. So our friends who are going on the trip with us (who also have twin one-year-old boys) came up with the perfect solution - safety harnesses! I thought to myself, problem solved! We'll just get Jake one of these cute little monkey backpacks that let him wander around while we hold on to the "tail" so he doesn't stray too far.

Or at least I thought the problem was solved... After I brought this solution up with Joseph he gave me a firm "No way in h-e-double hockey sticks" response. At first I really thought he was joking, but upon further discussion I learned that he truly has an aversion to these "leashes". He says, "Leashes are for dogs, not children." He's pretty insistent that Jake will either be in his stroller, held (by Joseph, take note), or he will hold his hand, but there will be no "leash" on our child.

So the question is this: Are child harnesses really just leashes for the lazy parent, or are they a liberator that will give the child a little more freedom than the stroller while still keeping him safe? Please give us your thoughts, we need some outside suggestions to help us solve this little issue.

P.S. Joseph would like me to make an addendum to this blog post and tell you that he did NOT in fact swear when we were talking about it. That was my own interpretation of the conversation, and he would never actually use even light swearing in our conversation. Noted.

17 comments:

Joe'n'Jess said...

I actually think my boys are too young for the monkey harnesses. when i give them resistance they drop to their bums and cry. if you end up convincing Joseph, you can borrow ours.
P.S. Jake LOVES it. He was laughing when you tried it on him. And if Joseph thinks its degrating, maybe he should stop calling him "the stinky kid".

Sarah and Wes said...

It's funny that you are blogging about this. Honestly, since I don't have a child old enough to worry about it yet, who knows what I'll think then. But I have to admit that I side with Joseph on this one! I've always said that my children will never have leashes on them because they are for dogs. But I really don't have another solution for you, so let me know what you decide and how it works out!

Jessica Sorensen said...

I am all for the leashes. Addi isn't even walking yet but I already decided I am getting her a leash when we go on vacation in June. I don't want her wondering around the airport and she doesn't like to be held in one spot. I think Jared is ok with it I told him and he didn't say anything. I would rather give my child more freedom and not loose them or get them stolen than holding them back while they throw a fit.

Zepp Family said...

I got two words of advice for you little brother.....LEASH HIM!

I used to say I'd never do it either but when you've got 3 crazy, kiddos ages three and under it becomes a safety issue and someone's getting leashed. So, I bought one after Liv was born for Madalyn and she LOVED it. At 18 mos. she'd pick it up and say, "Do you want to take the puppy for a walk?"

I was also worried that I'd get dirty looks and comments from people about it. But, it has been quite the opposite. I can't even tell you how many people have either said, "Good for you." or "Where did you get that, I need one too."

Really, I think it's more inhumane and irresponsible to either A) let a toddler walk around in public without any limitations/restraints for the first kidnapper who happens to walk by (we all know how hard it is to follow a wandering and free toddler (code yellow @ Target for me...case and point). OR B)to remain miserable in a stroller wailing and thrashing away.

I got mine at Babies R Us...they're not that expensive. Go for it!

Ben and Anna said...

Yeah, i'm a big fan of the leash. If the problem is the title of "leash", come up with another name!! I really don't see it as any different than holding their hand (which is really just a more permanent leash), or holding their body. It's not like you are taking the kid for a walk so he can do his business!

Zepp Family said...

P.S. Geesh, I forgot to step off my soap box and wish you guys a safe and fun trip.

Barbara said...

I'm for the harness (the problem's all in the name). If he likes it and it keeps him and you happy, sounds like the right solution. I never had one, but that would have been the right venue to use one, for sure!

Have a great time!!!

(Take lots of pictures. He'll think that he remembers it that way, and you may not have to take him again for a while.) :o)

Samantha Fife said...

We have one, and have had one since Michaela could walk. I hold the leash part of it on my wrist for back up, but hold her hand while we are walking. He won't want to walk all day anyway, but when he does you will be less paranoid knowing he won't get away from you or taken!

Jed said...

Why not change the name to something less domesticating for kids, like Baby Protector from Guys with Mustaches that want to Take My Kid. You could call it the BPGMTMK or for a shorter version The Protector. :) Doesn't sound as degrading eh? What say ye Joseph? No offense taken if you dilike the idea. Thats all it is.

Bethany said...

Come on, Ange! Be the one to change the status quo! Don't stick to the stuff you know. It's not better by far to keep things as they are. Mess with the flow!

This message was brought to you in part by High School Musical.

Amy said...

I for one am delighted at the addendum :) I was shocked to think of Joseph swearing.

I was horrified anytime I saw a parent leashing their child. Then I had children. Responsible parents use them to do exactly as you said. There are obviously people that use them inappropriately. I am confident you are not those parents. Whatever makes it easier for my child to explore the world while I stay out of the nut house with worry is okay in my book :)

Sam's two cents: I am not as against them as I used to be but I still can't say that I like them. I would rather have the child on my shoulders.

We don't have one but there are many times I wish we did. I have to say though Sam is very good at being the chaser/holder.

Have you thought about a backpack? We love ours. For the most part the kids never got oo anxious to get out. It's different being up at Dad's shoulder level rather than looking at a bunch of legs and bums :) We got ours at second hand shop for $15. they have some nifty ones with sunshades and the works nowadays.

Does this mean we won't be able to see the Dockers on our journey north? We will be traveling the 13th-15/16th depending on things .. (you know traveling with 4 children 8 and under things :) )

Tawnya said...

I'm all for the leash. Degrading and humiliating yes, but you still have your baby in the end.

Chelsea said...

I'd go with the leash. I was pretty against them before having kids, but I've lost Ethan a few times already, including yesterday for a while at Best Buy while I ran around the store panicking. I'd say if Joseph's against them, ban them from regular use, but you do NOT want to lose your child in a place like DisneyWorld. It's just not worth the chance. And you also don't want to have a screaming child who can't stand being in a stroller all day. Just my thought... Have FUN!

Carrie said...

We got one when Hunter started walking at 10 months and didn't understand the concept of No or stay here. For everyday walks and such I didn't use it. But I did when we went to busy crazy places (such as Disney for you). I don't know what to tell you about Joseph. Maybe get one and keep it in the diaper bag and then when Joseph realizes that his ideas just aren't working well you can pull it out with a nice "I told you so" grin, :) J/K I do like the idea of the backpack. Good luck with this and have fun in DisneyWorld!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

How about using a babysling or baby back pack?

Abby said...

Leash him. There is nothing wrong with it. Eliza had one in Europe when she was little. We called her 'fido' but nothing has permanently scarred her. Jake is going to want to run around and throw a fit if he is stuck in Joseph's arms. But, that is just my two cents. I would use it with Isaac...or at least have it just in case.

Love ya,
Abby

Jared & Tristan said...

We've only used it once or twice. We call it Guy's monkey backpack (much better than calling it a leash).

before I had kids I didn't like the idea of it either, but it can make things a lot easier and more importantly SAFER!