Monday, September 14, 2009

A success? Maybe...

Another week in nursery, another epic tale (alright, maybe not epic, but it makes it sound so much better). We took a few more precautions this week: we talked to Jake about nursery and how exciting and fun it was going to be, and when we took Jake to nursery we made sure to walk in with all of his friends, and we had our pacifier on hand in case the screaming ensued. He was very excited to be walking toward the door of the nursery, and Joseph and I thought that it might be a good sign. However, as soon as we opened the door and he saw what was on the other side, he stopped, turned around as fast as he could, and tried to make a run for it while big crocodile tears all of the sudden started welling up and streaming down his cheeks. *sigh*

When we left this time, apparently he only cried for about 10 minutes. Certainly not the 45 minutes it was last week, but still about nine more than we were hoping for. But we'll take it! He had a good time, and when the nursery leaders came and got us about an hour later because of his stinky diaper, he was all smiles. That is...until we took him back in. The screaming and tears started right back up again.

This time, Joseph sat with him while he settled down and the kids ate their snacks, then snuck out. The nursery leaders told me later that he saw Joseph leaving and thought about bursting into tears again, but decided against it and continued to eat his snack instead. HOORAY!! Maybe this means that each time we leave it's getting easier and easier... Or maybe we've learned that it is not, in fact, his parents that calm him down, but food. Hey, whatever works!!

4 comments:

Aul4 said...

That must have been a great snack, lol. I'm glad he did better this week. I was worried about him! (and YOU)

Abby said...

What a sweetheart!

Jared & Tristan said...

I'm glad he did better! I hope that he enjoys it more and more each week.
By the way, I really liked the skirt you wore on Sunday :)

Bethany said...

I love how you keep switching from "nursury" to "nursery." Miss you so much!