Thursday, April 29, 2010

The circle of life

Tragedy struck the Dougherty household today. First, let me give you a little background. Out behind our apartment building there has been a duck sitting on her nest full of eggs for a few weeks. Every day, Jake likes to go outside and look at the duck and we see if the eggs have hatched yet. We've been looking forward to seeing little ducklings! Well...this morning when Joseph went out to get on his bike to ride to school, he found this: I almost cried this morning when Joseph showed me the pictures! There was a hawk standing by the dead mother duck, and her nest was right there, full of eggs, with feathers everywhere.
You can imagine that this mother put up quite the fight for her baby eggs.


I almost feel a personal responsibility for this tragic incident. You see, when we first realized that there were ducks out there, there were two of them. The father was there guarding the eggs also. We were so excited that we went to get some bread to feed the ducks. Apparently, these ducks weren't used to being fed by humans, so instead of eating the bread, we scared away the dad. We never saw him back again. Maybe if we hadn't scared the dad away, the two of them could have fended off the hawk together and they would have stood a chance. *Sigh...*

I have this incredible urge to go outside and sit on those eggs myself, as well as to purge anything and everything in this house that has a hawkeye on it. Don't worry, Jake, you'll get your hat back soon enough, I just need to mourn...

12 comments:

Lauren and Travis McDougal said...

Aww.. Angela. That's so sad. I'm so sorry for you and Jake. I always think about my brother when animals have died. He is always very sensitive when it comes to those types of tragedies. Once, there was this baby rabbit with its mom in our backyard. They had been camping out back there for a while at this time. One morning we came out to find the baby dead and the mother nowhere to be seen. My brother cried and cried for the longest time. It's really sad.

Kyna said...

Oh, that is sad! Impressive timing with the pictures though. Feel better!

Jared & Tristan said...

That is so sad! It would've been so fun to watch the mama and her nest and later see all the little ducklings. That really is too bad.
Watching the video I didn't realize it would show the hawk still there! That's pretty neat.... kind of :(

Elaine said...

I think you can rest assured it definitely wasn't your fault. We used to have wild ducks that would come by our old apartment and we tried to feed them as well. We scared the Dad off, but he eventually came back. Maybe your Dad Duck was just a deadbeat dad. Maybe you can find some way to incubate the eggs, wouldnt' that be cool!

Melissa said...

Ohhh. That is so sad. I remember having to teach three-year old Kennedy about the 'circle of life' when her fish died. She buried it outside. That night she actually prayed that a bird of prey would come and eat it...in support of my 'circle of life' talk. It brought quite a laugh to parents hoping a child can cope with loss...they can. Are you out buying an incubator to save the eggs?! :)

Love,
Melissa

Aul4 said...

I am so sorry and sad for you, Ariel. I'm sure that your bread had nothing to do with the dad's departure. I don't think they hang around much before the hatching. (Go read "Make Way for Ducklings" again to see what I mean.)

I'm thinking of you as you mourn. Just don't let it quack you up. (Sorry.)

Johnson Family said...

You could see if a local zoo or something similar to a CNC could take them on. If not you could buy a heat lamp and keep the eggs warm until they hatch. I'm sure it wasn't your fault!

Jay Johnson

Tawnya said...

:(

Whitney Seaberg said...

Oh so horrible and sad! I can't believe Joseph actually got a video of it! Good job Joseph, but I think you should have like kicked the hawk or something..lol

Zepp Family said...

Wow, what a story. I read/wathced this with the girls and we all had tears welled up in our eyes. Really, quite sad.

Are the eggs still ok? If so, maybe you guys should contact a local wildlife agency or something and see it there is anything that can be done?

Joseph, you were such a chip off the old block (just like Den Doc #10) in taking the time out to make that video.

Hey, remember when you and Christopher strangled our baby ducks to death? I know, you were toddlers and you had no idea what you were doing, but I'm just saying....our family does not seem to fair well with web footed friends.

Anonymous said...

So sad, Michalea told me the story the other day! I'm so sorry. Angela don't blame our self. this probably would have happened if you have feed the ducks or not. Feel better!

eliza and christopher said...

Oh my gosh. This is so sad poor little mama duck.