Monday, October 27, 2008

What a day...

Today was one of those days. Nothing terrible happened, but from the moment I got out of bed it was like I had transformed into "oscar the grouch" overnight. I don't know what it was exactly...maybe it was the fact that it was FREEZING when I woke up this morning. I had to turn on the heat in our apartment for the first time, which of course means $$ that we don't have being sucked out of our wallets. Or maybe it was that Jake seemed extra whiny today. He didn't seem to be satisfied with anything. I was about ready to throw him out the window by the day's end (not really, please don't call CPS). Or maybe it was just that it happened to be Monday (which I don't really think was the case since I don't particularly loathe Mondays like some people...I think Monday gets a bad rap sometimes). Anyway, it was just an ugly, gloomy day outside and for some reason it rubbed off on my mood.

When Joseph got home from school we were supposed to go clean the church with some other couples in our ward at 6:30. I was dreading this for two reasons: 1) Let's not beat around the bush, cleaning is not exactly my favorite thing to do, especially when I'm not in a good mood to begin with, and 2) Jake goes to sleep at 6:00, which meant that he was going to be up WAY past his bedtime when he was already driving me crazy. I was just going to suck it up and do it anyway, but when Joseph came home and saw how much Jake just needed to go to sleep, he suggested that I stay home with him and he would go without us. Needless to say, it didn't take much convincing on my part to take him up on his offer.

After Joseph had left and I put Jake to bed, I decided that I needed to unwind a little bit, so I got out my scrapbooking stuff and worked on Jake's baby blessing page. As I worked on his page, I remembered that special day and I could feel my grouchiness disappear as gratitude for the many blessings in my life took its place. I felt grateful for our little family, plus our amazing extended family. I felt grateful that Jake is a happy and healthy little boy and that he has an incredible father to look up to as an example of how to live his life as he grows up. I felt grateful for a husband who understands when I need to take time for myself and willingly lets me do so. Most of all I'm grateful for the gospel in my life that keeps my family together.

Isn't it amazing how all it takes for grouchiness to disappear is to count your blessings?

4 comments:

Sarah and Wes said...

You don't like to clean? Who are you and what have you done with my old roommate? Hee hee, seriously though, thanks for sharing that. I need to count my blessings more when I get grumpy. Thank you for sharing that

Rachel said...

I have had many days like that. You should have called me! I would have watched jake a few hours for you! geeeez....

Bethany said...

Angela! I'm sorry you had a bad day. They happen. I love you!
P.S. I forget what my nephew looks like. More pictures!

Meg said...

I have had my share of days like that! Thanks for the reminder to count my blessings.