When we dropped Jake off in the nursery, he did see the puzzles and made a beeline for them. He did sit quietly in his chair as he got started on one. I thought to myself, "wow, this is almost too easy!" And then I tried to sneak out. Suddenly, Jake frantically climbed out of his chair and came running for my legs. I took him back to the puzzles, but he was on to me this time. Not even seeing his friend Spencer coming in could fool him for long. When I left the nursery, I left my sobbing child in the hands of the nursery leaders. I felt terrible.
Here's the thing: when I was a preschool teacher I used to always see parents lingering while their child tried to adjust to being left at the school. I would say to myself, "come on, get a backbone, mom, little Frankie here will be just fine as soon as you leave!" Turns out it's much harder to leave when it's your own child that is having the issue.
Joseph and I went to Sunday school and after about ten minutes we decided to go stand outside the door to see if we could still hear Jake crying. Yep. Joseph handed Jake's pacifier to the nursery leaders to give to Jake...more for their sanity than anything else. They later said that it was the only thing that kept him quiet... ugh...we really don't like to use that thing unless it's an emergency...
Fortunately, the nursery leaders said that once all the toys were out and the kids were given snacks, Jake was fine - even without his pacifier. Unfortunately, it took about 45 minutes or so to get to that point. I really don't want Jake to be super clingy and needy, and I POSITIVELY don't want to be outside in the hallway with him ANY MORE!! Any suggestions on how to get past this??
P.S. - We took this picture of Jake right before church started. We got him dressed all handsome for his first day in nursery! Seriously, this kid melts my heart...
11 comments:
Oh the first day of nursery. I was curious about how Addi would be on her first day of nursery but since I got called to nursery in our new ward she has been going to nursery with mommy since 16 months so I will never know how she would be if I had to leave her. Jake does look hansom.
Michaela cried for a YEAR! Seriously, Jordan and I had to be with her for an entire year of nursery, THE WHOLE TIME. Do what works best for him, and even if it takes an entire year - he will get the hang of it!
Oh my gosh he's so cute!! He looks like Jonathan a little bit, actually. Hopefully the nursery thing will get better. Love you!
What a little cutie!!!! I love the picture--he looks so handsome. And good luck with the nursery--I have no advice for you, having never had to do that yet.
He'll be fine. Just keep going. He'll have all the boys to keep him entertained. He look so handsome in this picture!!!!! He looks so grown up!!
I think Jake will be fine. 45 minutes is not bad at all. It'll get better as he knows more people in there. I love his outfit. Cute!
He's so handsome! Good luck is all i have to say! It's been six months for us with jackson and i finally asked the bishopric to call me to be a nursery teacher.
I LOVE it! he's so cute
all my boys had a hard time with nursery - Jake will be just fine:) He is too handsome for words all dressed up in his church clothes - what a cutie!!
jake looks so handsome! and being in nursery right now i understand just how hard it is for those first few weeks- hard for you and jake! and i completely understand about the whole dental school thing- i thought we would NEVER get here! but i have been shocked just how fast time has flown (after those 2nd yr boards are over!) good luck though and just know that the sr year really does come!!! :)
I heard the first nursery attempt didn't go all that well....
Post a Comment